Matthew P Slater
- Drupal module development Drupal 7 & 8: I maintain Community Accounting module and Hamlets distribution
- Requirements analysis, information architecture, web site development. Understanding from stakeholders what is required of a system, and communicating this, and technical implementation.
- Presenting and Educating As an expert in complementary currencies I regularly speak to audiences about technical and philosophical matters. I also co-authored a masters level MOOC.
- Leadership As co-founder of nonprofit Community Forge, I oversaw the creation of a semi-technical volunteer team which runs the systems from day to day.
- 2015 Money & Society MOOC
- Co-authored MOOC with Prof Jem Bendell, and built the platform. Still running it every six months.
- 2014 -present, Timebanking New South Wales
- I designed and built the site for this government program, part time over five years.
- 2013-2016, Global Ecovillage network
- Consultant and maintainer of GEN's main online database site.
- March 2009 - present, Community Forge
- I co-founded not-for-profit to help bring my complementary currency software to the communities which need it. Sustaining this software takes up around half my time.
- 2007-2008, Consulting in Geneva
- COHRED, DCAF, Shelter Centre, SEL du Lac, Geneva. Helping with requirements, specification and implementation of content management systems for non-profits.
- Aug 2004 - September 2007, Shelter Centre, IFRC
- Assistant at Shelter Centre. At first volunteering, then employed, then migrated to Geneva, I did all aspects of IT for this energetic organisation as it rose to prominence in the international aid system.
- 2003 - 2005
- Various work to support volunteering. Software tutorials for students with learning disabilities, building and maintaining various web sites. Interned with London thinktank the Fabian Society
- 2003, ATD Fourth World
- Volunteer in 3 month introductory program; drafted response to government white paper on antisocial behaviour; Worked with excluded people on the systems of government and how to affect change; + network administration and other computer support.
- Aug 1999 - Dec 2002
- Freelance Shockwave programming. programming arcade games for websites such as Ben & Jerry's UK and Aberlour Whisky.
- May 2000 - July, Radio B2-92
- Sub-Editing news items and reading them on air from a secret studio in Belgrade
- Learning, employment in multimedia production, and eventually freelance Shockwave games programming.
- Aug 1996 - July 1997
- Production manager in family manufacturing business. running and maintaining injection moulding machines.
- Plymouth College of Art & Design, Certificate in Multimedia
- Edinburgh Language Foundation CTEFLA Grade C
- Cardiff University, BD Theology (Hons), 2/2
Well Rounded Personality
I could mention travel, theatre, literature, chess, philosophy, movies, spirituality and much more; but these days I'm fascinated only by money, rebuilding a commons-based Internet, sustaining Community Forge, and interpreting global events.